In 1973, CRREL recovered a 12.7 cm diameter, 404 m long ice core at Milcent as part of the international Greenland Ice Sheet Program (GISP). CRREL was the lead US laboratory (Hansen and Langway, co-PIs) for GISP. The Milcenet ice core was drilled by Lyle Hansen, John Rand, and Robert Bigl using CRREL’s thermal drill. The core is on the de-accession list. Only a small section of the core remains in the archive.
- Banta JR and McConnell JR (2007) Annual accumulation over recent centuries at four sites in central Greenland. Journal of Geophysical Research, 112, D10114. https://doi.org/10.1029/2006JD00788 SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION
- Crete, Milcent - Oxygen Isotope and Accumulation Data. Clausen, H.B.; Gundestrup, N.; Johnsen, S.J.; Bindschadler, R.; Zwally, J.
- Banta JR and McConnell JR (2007) Annual accumulation over recent centuries at four sites in central Greenland. Journal of Geophysical Research, 112, D10114. https://doi.org/10.1029/2006JD00788
- Bentley CR and Koci BR (2007) Drilling to the beds of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets: a review. Annals of Glaciology, 47, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.3189/172756407786857695
- McConnell J, Arthern R, Mosley-Thompson E, Davis CH, Bales RC, Thomas R, Burkhart JF, Kyne JD (2000) Changes in Greenland ice sheet elevation attributed primarily to snow accumulation variability. Nature 406, 877-879. https://doi.org/10.1038/35022555
- Langway CC (2008) The history of early polar ice cores. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 52, 101-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2008.01.001
- Clausen HB, Gundestrup NS, Johnsen SJ, Bindschadler R, and Zwally J (1988) Glaciological Investigations in the Crete Area, Central Greenland: A Search for a new Deep-Drilling Site. Annals of Glaciology, 10, 10-15. https://doi.org/10.3189/S0260305500004080