D4 is a 10.2 cm diameter, 146 m long core drilled in 2003 to investigate annual accumulation over recent centuries in central Greenland. The ice core was analyzed by CFA by Joe McConnell and annually dated based on multiple seasonal markers, including hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), total sulfur, lead, and sea-salt and dust tracers (for example, Na, Mg, Ca). The period of record in the D4 core is 1734-2003 (McConnell and others, 2019). There is only a small section of core remaining in the archive.
- Joseph McConnell. 2016. D4 continuous ice core chemistry measurements below pore closeoff. Arctic Data Center. doi:10.18739/A2JS9H808. (D4 Depth-Age Scale)
- Rachael Rhodes. 2016. D4 Greenland ice core continuous methane. Arctic Data Center. doi:10.18739/A2GM81P3K.
- Banta JR and McConnell JR (2007) Annual accumulation over recent centuries at four sites in central Greenland. Journal of Geophysical Research, 112, D10114. https://doi.org/10.1029/2006JD00788 SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION
- D4 - Black Carbon, VA, and nssS Data. McConnell, J.R.; Edwards, R.; Kok, G.L.; Flanner, M.G.; Zender, C.S.; Saltzman, E.S.; Banta, J.R.; Pasteris, D.R.; Carter, M.M.; Kahl, J.D.W.
- D4,D5,Katie,Sandy - Central Greenland Ice Core Net Snow Accumulation Data. Banta, J.R.; McConnell, J.R.
- Banta JR and McConnell JR (2007) Annual accumulation over recent centuries at four sites in central Greenland. Journal of Geophysical Research, 112, D10114. https://doi.org/10.1029/2006JD00788
- McConnell JR, Chellman NJ, Wilson AI, Stohl A, Arienzo MM, Eckhardt S, Fritzsche D, Kipfstuhl S, Opel T, Place PF, Steffensen JP (2019) Pervasive Arctic lead pollution suggests substantial growth in medieval silver production modulated by plague, climate, and conflict. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Jul 2019, 116 (30) 14910-14915. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1904515116